Top Ten Books That Broke My HeartPosted: February 14, 2012
The Broke & the Bookish are responsible for this one . Thinking about it, I realized that the ones that have gotten me as an adult usually have a fair balance of humour to suck me in, make me bond with the characters before the big whammy.
1.Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood.Bawled. Seriously. So many mother/daughter AND romantic tragedies.
2. Little Women. I was totally in love with Laurie. Then he goes
and dies. This is what I get for trying to post during homeroom. He didn’t die, just didn’t marry Jo. sigh. (sorry if that was a spoiler, we’re mostly all adults, I figure you knew that already). (now I feel like an idiot.)
3.Old Yeller & Where the Red Fern Grows.I love puppies. All of them.
4. The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon, including the Lord John books. The trials, triumphs, and the unrequited love get me every time.
5. the curious incident of the dog in the night. This is one where I just wanted it to be ok. It wasn’t. I couldn’t help any of them.
6. The Great Santini. Repeat the reason above.
7. Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix- First of all, I think this is maybe one of the best reminders of that time in your teens when you KNOW the whole world hates you and is just not telling you what you need to hear. THEN the first (major) DEATH, mourning, etc. From there on out, you know this is going to get ugly. Cedric didn’t bother me, but this one gutted me. More so for the fog Harry was in afterward.
8. Robin Hood, the old Howard Pyle version.
9. Cold Mountain, C. Fraizer
10. Tall Woman, Wilma Dykeman
Writing this & reading other folk’s lists, I realized I’ve avoided lots of the “tearjerkers.” It wasn’t intentional….
Are there any you would recommend?