Books I wish I could find…Posted: March 5, 2012 | |
Deep within the special hell that is unpacking into a smaller space, and trying to function/live/work/cook/do laundry at the same time, I keep thinking that there are some books I want to re-read, that I KNOW I own and wouldn’t have gotten rid of, but have no IDEA where they are (3rd move in 3 years). The options are: In a box at my house, in a box at my grandmother’s house, or in a box in storage. (insert your favorite grumbling noise here).
So, in no particular order, I would appreciate it if the Universe would conspire to make these books return to me:
- Age of Innocence, Edith Wharton- this one could be in my file cabinet from the dorm room, that used to be in the extra bedroom, and is in storage now.
- The Once and Future King, TH White- ditto. Although both of these were purchased in Spain, so they MAY have been shipped back to my grandmother’s house….
- Gangs of New York, Asbury- pretty sure this one is at least in the same state as I am. WAY better than the movie.
- A collection of children’s stories my Mom gave me. It’s red and large. Storage. I hope.
- Hero and the Crown/Blue Sword, Robin McKinley I think these are in a box IN THE HOUSE, so they might appear this week.
- Tales of a Shaman’s Apprentice, Plotkin- ditto the file cabinet, except not purchased in Spain, so there’s no chance of it being at my grandmother’s.
- Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, Adams- no idea.
- A random book about the deMedici family…can’t remember the title, the cover had a portrait of Lorenzo on it.- With the Gangs of NY book b/c they lived on the same shelf.
- The Scarlett Letter, Hawthorne, (my annotated copy from 11th grade English that I used again in college). File cabinet?
- Any of the books from Sharyn McCrumb’s Ballad Series. They’re all together somewhere. I remember putting them in a box together.
- The 3 or 4 books I kept from the seminar history class I took about Witchcraft/the Salem Trials. Excellent class. I think they too are in the file cabinet.
- Mere Christianity & The Screwtape Letters, CS Lewis. No idea. Last seen in my childhood bedroom that was packed up 4 years ago.
Anything you regret getting rid of? Anything you’d like to find again for a re-read?
And, as we have gotten REALLY off topic recently, I’ll try to do an awards post soon.